Last term, over 70 students from across the GDST submitted entries for the Sydenham #700STEMChallenge: a writing competition designed to celebrate science, technology, engineering and mathematics within our school communities.
Launched back in 2018 by Sydenham High School, the competition challenges students to write and submit a 700-word essay on one of the STEM subjects. With no set questions or defined topics, participating students enjoy plenty of creative freedom, and indeed this is one of the all-important judging criterion, along with style and content.
With the competition now done and dusted for another year, we are delighted to announce that six of our OHS girls have placed within the top three in their respective categories –
• Zahra (Year 8) – Under 14, Technology/Engineering – 1st place
• Clara (Year 8) – Under 14, Technology/Engineering – 2nd place
• Tehya (Year 10) – Under 16, Science – 1st place
• Trisha (Year 10) – Under 16, Mathematics – 1st place
• Danielle (Year 13) – Under 18, Technology/Engineering – 3rd place
• Amy (Year 12) – Under 18, Mathematics – 1st place
Congratulations to each and every girl who entered this competition, with a special ‘well done’ to Zahra, Clara, Tehya, Trisha, Danielle and Amy. As always, our thanks go to Sydenham High School for orchestrating such a fantastic initiative.