Oxford High School is incredibly fortunate to have wide-ranging connections with the University of Oxford and many other leading institutions via our parents, staff and alumnae. We have taken full advantage of these connections to create The Wider World lecture series.
Speakers are invited into our Ada Benson Building to talk to Year 13 about a range of different topics, providing them with the opportunity to find out more about key global issues and current affairs, to engage in debate, and to help prepare for life after school. Recent talks have included Professor Luke Peterson on the capitol riots of 2021, Achas Burin on the value of legal certainty and lockdowns, and Marianne Tambini on tackling food poverty in Oxford.
Here is a list of the speakers we welcomed to OHS in Spring 2022.
- Gwen Faure – Female Empowerment and The Future of Work
- Jill Fraser – CEO and Co founder of the healthcare charity Kissing it Better
- John Levy – The Middle East and Belbroughton Road
- John Berry – Crime and Staying safe
- Lou Everett-Fletcher – The Criminal Justice System and Probation
- Sarah Stephenson-Hunter – Life as a Blind Trans woman.
- Dr Rachel Besser – Silent Disability and 100 years since the development of insulin.
With informal Q&A sessions afterwards and further reading opportunities, these events are often the starting-points for further enquiry and discussion, often generating new topics for the students’ Extended Research Projects.