The specification that we follow at Oxford High School is AQA.
PAPER 1: Introductory topics in Psychology
- Social Psychology (Why do people conform? When and why do people obey authorities? Why do some people choose not to conform?)
- Cognitive Psychology (How do we remember? Why do we forget? What affects the accuracy of eyewitness testimony?)
- Developmental Psychology (Attachment: the relationships that children form with parents and those around them)
- Psychopathology (What kinds of behaviour are considered “abnormal”? Why do they occur? Can they be prevented or treated?)
PAPER 2: Psychology in Context
- Approaches in Psychology (Origins of Psychology, Cognitive, Biological, Behavioural, Psychodynamic, and Humanistic).
- Biological Psychology (the fight or flight response, the function of the endocrine system: glands and hormones. Localisation and function of the brain, plasticity, ways of studying the brain)
- Research Methods (including ethical issues, designing studies, analysing and presenting quantitative & qualitative data)
PAPER 3: Issues and Options in Psychology
Issues & Debates in Psychology (compulsory)
And one topic from:
- Relationships/Gender/Cognition & Development
- Schizophrenia/Eating Behaviour/Stress
- Aggression/Forensic Psychology/The Psychology of Addictive Behaviour