Oxford’s independent schools are served by several bus companies – both public and private. We are currently working together with other Oxford schools to provide a comprehensive network for the future. Arrangements for September 2016 are below and further developments will be published as soon as available.
Click here for our current bus map.
Public Bus Routes
City2 buses (2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D) run every few minutes from Banbury Road stops into the city centre, and from Magdalen Street in the city out to Summertown. The service is run by both the Oxford Bus Company and Stagecoach and return tickets and travelcards bought on one service can be used on the other.
Oxford Parkway station is about a mile north of Summertown on the Banbury Road/Oxford Road (A4260) towards Kidlington at the same site as the Water Eaton Park & Ride (OX2 8HA). Oxford Bus Company’s 500 service runs approximately every 15-20 minutes from Water Eaton Park & Ride to Summertown and on to the city centre via Banbury Road.
The 17A and 17C services run approximately every hour from the Cherwell School stop on the Marston Ferry Road. Stagecoach service 14A runs approximately every 30 minutes from the Cherwell School stop on the Marston Ferry Road.
To and from Oxford central railway station
Buses 14 and 14A run approximately every 30 minutes from 06.17 to 19.14 from the first stop on the Banbury Road after Marston Ferry Road, with a return service from 06.20 to 18.20.
The Stagecoach S4 travels from Banbury to Oxford via the A4260, Steeple Aston, and Tackley.
The Stagecoach S5 goes from Bicester via the A34, through Gosford (Kidlington outskirts) to Water Eaton and Summertown every 15 minutes.
The Arriva Sapphire 280 travels from Aylesbury to Oxford via the A418, Thame, and Wheatley.
08:08 Headington School
08:20 Oxford City Centre
The Stagecoach S3 travels from Chipping Norton to Oxford via Enstone or Charlbury and Woodstock.
Direct via A44
07:20 Chipping Norton
Via Charlbury, Stonesfield, and Combe
07:04 Chipping Norton
School bus travel from within the Oxford ring road.
The survey also indicated significant demand for cross-Oxford school bus travel. The good news is that this is already available on the existing school bus services but it may not have been immediately obvious that pupils can pick up and drop off on these routes.
Please sign-up at the link here if you are interested in picking up the school bus within Oxford.
Heyfordian School Bus Services
Could ALL parents who would like to use a Heyfordian school bus service (including existing users of Heyfordian’s services, and parents who would like to pick up the school bus within Oxford) sign-up at this link: https://www.research.net/r/Heyfordian-Bus-Route-Sign-Up
NB. Parents who have already signed up will need to do so again via this link to confirm their demand.
Notes on Heyfordian:
- Dependent on demand, it may be possible to adjust routes to serve different/ additional villages in the broad area of each route currently proposed. Please indicate via the Heyfordian sign-up link if you have a preferred alternative pick up point that you think could potentially be accommodated within one of the Heyfordian routes below.Your sign-up indicates a strong intention to use the service. Based on demand, decisions will then be made by Heyfordian regarding services operating, the routing of vehicles and fares. Heyfordian appreciate that parents will only be able to make their final decision to commit to using the service once fare prices, pick-up points and timetables are confirmed. The sign-up link above does however provide some additional information about fares, routes and timings.
- Heyfordian has informed us that there is likely to be an increase in bus fares from September 2016. Fares will be dependent on numbers of pupils signed up to the services but assuming a good level of demand, the increases should not be significant.
- Heyfordian Routes A to D would serve the schools in the same order as they do currently, to a similar AM and PM timetable. For current timetable information visit: http://www.heyfordian.travel/timetables/oxford-school-routes-a-d/
- Where parents provided comments in the schools’ survey towards the location of existing/potential pick-up/drop off points, this feedback has been shared with the appropriate operators.
- For any detailed questions regarding the Heyfordian routes below, please contact Jane Smith at Heyfordian (Jane.Smith@heyfordian.co.uk or 01869 355401).
- Heyfordian Route A: (Chipping Norton – Chapel House Garage – Enstone – A44 – Wooton Turn – Woodstock -Yarnton – Cutteslowe). Additional passengers are needed from September 2016 to increase viability of this service. Parents who would use the service if it picked up in villages in the vicinity of the route should also express interest in the service; potential service refinements will then be explored.
- Heyfordian Route B: (Banbury – Twyford – Adderbury – Deddington – A4260 – Kidlington). Will operate from September 2016. All current stops will be served if there is demand but routing could be refined to serve other areas to avoid duplication with Heyfordian Route C.
- Heyfordian Route C: (Middleton Cheney – Brackley – A43/B4031 – Croughton – Aynho – Hopcroft’s Holt). Will operate from September 2016. All current stops will be served if there is demand but routing could be refined to serve other areas to avoid duplication with Heyfordian Route B.
- Heyfordian Route D: (Haddenham – Thame – Long Crendon – Shabbington – Worminghall – Wheatley). Will operate from September 2016. All current stops will be served if there is demand.
- NEW! Abingdon Route (Heyfordian Route E): (Sutton Courtenay – Drayton – Abingdon – Boars Hill – Hinksey Hill). Will operate from September 2016, subject to adequate sign-up for the service.
- NEW! Bicester Route (Heyfordian Route F): (Marsh Gibbon – Bicester – Wendlebury – Weston on the Green-Islip). Will operate from September 2016, subject to adequate sign-up for the service.
Rufty Tufty service: The Rufty Tufty service (serving Henley – Nettlebed – Watlington – Chalgrove – Great Milton – Wheatley – Risinghurst) Contact Mr Read at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wallingford service (serving Wallingford – Crowmarsh Gifford – Benson – Shillingford – Berinsfield – Nuneham Courtenay – Sandford): Will operate from September 2016 in its current format. Only a few places remain. Contact Tessa Sykes: email@example.com if you would like to use the service from September 2016 but have not yet signed up.
The R&R service: (serving Stanford in the Vale – Buckland – Hinton Waldrist – Kingston Bagpuize – Frilford – Marcham – Boars Hill – Wootton – Cumnor – Osney – Oxford Rail Station [pick up from station at ~0755]). The R&R service is flexible to meet areas of additional demand, and aims to operate as a door-to-door service (picking up at/close to home addresses) where timings allow. Contact Mrs Sherwood: firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs Browne-Clayton: email@example.com if you would like to use the service from September 2016 but have not yet signed up.